Metallica SUCKS!

Tim Stephenson timnjaq at TSTEPHENSON.FREESERVE.CO.UK
Tue Apr 25 19:11:22 EDT 2000

Strangely and depressingly enough, I've been going some distance recently to
see one of my favourite bands (PO90) to audiences of 20 to 40 in various
pubs.  Despite profound musical excellence the band probably wont make it to
any size at all and I dont think they expect to.  Sitting in these pubs,
listening to this exceptional music with a tiny group of like minded souls,
reminded me massively of going to Jazz nights in my youth in local pubs.  My
impression was of middle aged men, playing irrelevant but quite pleasant
music for the benefit of a small group of other middle aged men, and then
both groups merging and having enthusiastic conversations about Jazz players
and bands from before I was born.  Pass me the razor blades.

>>     Exactly what pisses me off, I think, is that Metallica now belongs to
>> larger, more vaccuous consumer population whose tastes are only the whim
of the
>> higher forces of commerce.

>I used to know someone who's been big in the jazz scene for
decades (friend of my parents).  The above quote could be a
paraphrase of what Gene once said to me about the revered
sixties.<