OFF: Last Days of May

K Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Wed Apr 26 10:14:22 EDT 2000

Doug P.'d...

>Great store!  Say "hi" to Mike Rep (the guy with long-ish grey hair) for me
>if he's at the counter ... once when visiting friends of mine, they all
>recorded a weird version of "Spirit of the Age" that was semi-dedicated to
>me (the same day, they recorded a version of the Twinkeyz' "Aliens In Our
>Midst" dedicated to our mutual friend Karl who did the CD reissue of the
>Twinkeyz and, more recently, Debris).

Yeah, he's (almost) always there.  Are you saying he's a musician?  He
normally hangs out in the 'Annex', where all the old LPs and 60s/70s CDs
are.  And that's where they play the good music (Hawkwind
occasionally)...the 'real' Used Kids next door almost always is cranking the
very worst crap I've ever heard.

What's his connection to the Bay Area?

>>saw a disc by a band called 'Last Days of May.'

>Their music is far more psychedelic and exploratory than any typical heavy rock
>band.  Lots of out-there jamming and long tracks, at least on the first
album, >which I liked very much.

Hmmmm...I might try it out then.

>>P.S.  Can anyone tell me what Pere Ubu album(s) I might like?  I really like
>>the band Speaker/Cranker (a possible SD2K entry) which inclues PU-guitarist
>>Jim Jones (actually on synth in S/C), and thought I'd try them out.
>
>Definitely begin at the beginning!  Get the 'Terminal Tower' collection
>that includes their seminal first two singles (including "Final Solution",
>with its' "rave-up" outro that was "borrowed" from "Space Is Deep") and
>their first actual album, 'The Modern Dance'.

This was the one I was looking at in the store yesterday.  Almost walked out
with it, but thought I'd ask first.  They also had a used copy of 'Raygun
Suitcase' or something, which I think is much more recent.

>Jim Jones is an extremely cool musician who has played in a *lot* of great
>bands from Cleveland, including the VU/Floyd-influenced Mirrors (who were
>covering "Ejection" within weeks of the release of 'Captain Lockheed'),

That sounds interesting...any in-print CD reissues of that stuff?

>Funny how all those
>ex-Pere Ubu guys are turning into synth players (drummer Anton Fier,
>probably most famous for his Golden Palaminos "supersession"-type band,

He was in the original Feelies (another VU-influenced band), as well as
playing with Bob Mould at some point.

Grakkl (FAA)