OFF: Swap tape 2000

Andrew A. Apold mordru at FLITE.NET
Tue Aug 1 11:54:12 EDT 2000

>I didn't join in last time, partly 'cause I was too lazy and partly 'cause I
>never understood how it was supposed to go in 1998.  And anyway, I had both
>sent and gotten tapes to and from Sweden.  If we're going to do this again
>this way, it seems logical to have two tape 'rings'...one in Europe and one
>in the Americas, and perhaps a third in Australasia if the numbers warrant
>it.  And then link the rings together with one volunteer in each region
>that's willing to continually ship small packages across various ponds.
>(That's not me, sorry.  I'm just a poor student still.)

It was innetionally set up to flip-flop across the ocean that way, IIRC.

why?  well, Steve Swann works for the post office, and...

no, I think it was an attempt to see to it that people get stuff not from
around their parts on the first branch.  of course this implies that the
tape ring was expected to break down at some point, so we'd getting our
transatlantic fixes done early.

"Left behind by the latest trends...
 eating fried chicken with his regicidal friends...
   - "Porcelain Monkey" by Warren Zevon