Hawkwind / Mazda

Fri Aug 4 17:15:47 EDT 2000

I spoke to those wonderful people at EMI and there are no plams at all to
release the single on the back of the advert.
'Do you think there will be any demand?', I was asked. Once I'd finished
choking on my cup of tea, I replied, 'well, yeh, there certainly will be'.
'For the original version?', they retorted. Cue splutter two. 'Well, judging
by the reception your dance promo got in the press last year, the fact that
several key DJ's on Radio's One and Two may play it, and several other
factorsa besides, then yes, there would be demand'.'Well, I could suggest
that to those responsible', she said.' But that's not much good', I said,
'unless the ad campaign is planning on lasting a month or two and the label
can get their finger out. Surely they must have known this was happening so
why on earth didn't they plan ahead?'
There we left it.
But, you know why they didn't plan ahead? Because the major labels are now
staffed by people young enough never to have heard of the band, who are all
trained to seek out the next Boyzone or Fatboy Slim, who have completely
lost sight of the idea, if ever they had it, that people over the age of 30
have disposbale income for CD's and are not all into jazz or Doris Day!!!
Well, that's my potential job working for EMI shot through the window, I
guess........
Andy Garibaldi.