HW: OFF: Spacerock basic library

K Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Sun Aug 6 14:11:16 EDT 2000

Thomas asked...

>I have always been interested in various aspects of spacerock/psychedelia,
>and have amassed a good collection of material over the years. But I have
>gotten more interested lately, and want to fill in some gaps. I was
>wondering if some people would be willing to post a list of what they
>think are ten or so of the most essential spacerock/psych. recordings,
>that are less obvious or less well known. I mean, I have Amon Duul, Ash Ra
>Tempel, Hawkwind, Farflung, Pressurehed, Gong, Porcupine Tree, Spaceman 3,
>etc. covered. But I'm interested in exploring further. If it helps, my
>interests extend to (but aren't limited to) the heavy side of things
>(Kyuss, Natas, etc.) and the ambient/electronic side of things (Autechre,
>Eno, trip-hop, Oval, System 7, etc. -- though some of this stuff, like
>System 7, can get too beat repetetive for me)

Well, until someone tells me to shut up and quit spouting the same ole'
opinions on the same bands over and over....here goes...

A couple years' back, I made this list of the 20 'quintessential' spacerock
albums, and I have to say that today I'm still pretty happy with it.
Perhaps 14 or 15 would make it onto a revised list.  And I might replace a
couple only with albums by the same artist, like This Timeless Turning by
SCM (instead of Return to the Inner Experience), and either Signify or Coma
Divine by PTree (in place of TSMS).

Some new things I would add would be Korai Öröm - 1997, an album by Circle
(the new one, Andexelt, is a fine choice), and I might decide that Guru
Guru's Dance of the Flames (1974) is too good to ignore.  And perhaps I
would choose something from Texas (your home state?), but it's hard to pick
just one.  7% Solution, ST 37, Liquid Sound Company, Linus Pauling Quartet,
Mazinga Phaser, etc.  Ah, it's hard not to think 'quota-like' when doing
this sort of thing.  Like should I give a nod to 'stoner rock' and pick
Orange Goblin - Time Travelling Blues?

Well, you've all heard this before, so I'll be quiet now and wait to see if
anyone else dares respond.  :)

PINK FLOYD (UK) - A SAUCERFUL OF SECRETS (1968)
AMON DÜÜL II (GR) - WOLF CITY (1972)
NEKTAR (UK/GR) - JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EYE (1972)
NEU! (GR) - NEU! (1972)
AGITATION FREE (GR) - 2ND (1973)
FAUST (GR) - IV (Four) (1973)
HAWKWIND (UK) - SPACE RITUAL ALIVE dbl (1973)
GONG (FR/UK) - YOU (1974)
HAWKWIND (UK) - WARRIOR ON THE EDGE OF TIME (1975)
CLUSTER (GR) - SOWIESOSO (1976)
ELOY (GR) - SILENT CRIES AND MIGHTY ECHOES (1978)
HAWKWIND (UK) - LEVITATION (1980)
---dead zone---
LEVITATION (UK) - COTERIE (1991)
OZRIC TENTACLES (UK) - STRANGEITUDE (1991)
SKY CRIES MARY (US) - A RETURN TO THE INNER EXPERIENCE (1993)
THE SPACIOUS MIND (SW) - COSMIC MINDS AT PLAY (1993)
DEAD FLOWERS (UK) - ALTERED STATE CIRCUS (1994)
PORCUPINE TREE (UK) - THE SKY MOVES SIDEWAYS (1995)
DARXTAR (SW) - SJU (Seven) (1996)
ALIEN PLANETSCAPES (US) - LIFE ON EARTH (1997)

Grakkl (FAA)