OFF: the future of the rock industry (Was: A new richard meltzer interview)

Tue Aug 8 17:09:13 EDT 2000

On Mon, 7 Aug 2000, Bolts of Ungodly Vision wrote:

> go to www.furious.com/perfect/meltzer.html

        Following up his stuff on the music business and that Courtney
Love article a little while back, it occurs to me that the rock industry
per se is about forty years old now and awareness is becoming pretty
general that the major labels have all the punches in it. And it further
occurs to me that when the movie business was a not dissimilar age, and of
a similar corporate voraciousness, a bunch of actors got together
and formed Equity. And I wondered if that could work in the music business
- a kind of musicians' collective, something large enough to have market
clout and work for the musicians. There aren't any labels of any size run
by artists, are there? Could there be, and would they meet any success?

        Discuss :-) Yours,
                           Jon

--
 |  Jon Jarrett (01223 741219)           jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk
 | "Zeron Gamma Two continuum entropy control parameters - AFFIRMATIVE!" |