OFF: the future of the rock industry (Was: A new richard meltzer interview)

Ted Jackson jr. tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Tue Aug 8 17:36:55 EDT 2000

On 8 Aug 00, at 22:09, Jon Jarrett wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Aug 2000, Bolts of Ungodly Vision wrote:
>
> > go to www.furious.com/perfect/meltzer.html
>
>         Following up his stuff on the music business and that Courtney
> Love article a little while back, it occurs to me that the rock
> industry per se is about forty years old now and awareness is becoming
> pretty general that the major labels have all the punches in it. And
> it further occurs to me that when the movie business was a not
> dissimilar age, and of a similar corporate voraciousness, a bunch of
> actors got together and formed Equity. And I wondered if that could
> work in the music business - a kind of musicians' collective,
> something large enough to have market clout and work for the
> musicians. There aren't any labels of any size run by artists, are
> there? Could there be, and would they meet any success?

Howls!  I'm an ex-member of the musician's union.  Unfortunately
they only lobby for musicians on a per-gig basis.  Thing is,
musicians are actually dumb enough to sign those awful major label
contracts without [apparently] reading them.  The union is more
concerned with live gigs, though they do set the rates for studio
musicians.  In fact, to borrow your analogy, all movie music is union
made [at least in the US]...

theo