OFF: the future of the rock industry

K Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Tue Aug 8 18:34:32 EDT 2000

John said...

>> There aren't any labels of any size run
>> by artists, are there? Could there be, and would they meet any success?
>>
>There are several labels run by artists that have done well.  Fugazi has
>Dischord Records, which is a fine label.

The one that comes to my mind is Projekt, the darkwave (i.e.,
'ambient-goth') label run by the guy from Black Tape for a Blue Girl (I
think).  But I don't know if that's even a touring group so much (if at all
- it could be just him, and perhaps one other person?), so perhaps that's
why he's got the time to have his own label.

Most of the other labels of that sort, major-indie-niche labels like Cleo,
Man's Ruin (and perhaps Meteor City if that continues to grow), Darla, Sonic
Unyon, Parasol, World Domination (momentarily 'bought' out by WB, then
subsequently 'let go')...they seem to be run by entreprenurial folks who
started out in mail order/distro.  Or at least that's my perception.

(BTW, is Frank Kozik a musician?)

As I've stated before (and others seem to have thought also), some of these
other 'niches' seem to be a lot more 'with it' than the space-rockers.
Stoner rock, Post-rock, Darkwave, you name it.  I guess maybe they're
perceived (or the bands perceive themselves?) as more modern and hip -
and/or are simply younger people with more energy.

So I can go into a store in Columbus and easily find Man's Ruin, or The
Music Cartel (now what is that exactly?  From the sounds of the name, it
almost sounds like a stoner version of what is being discussed here.  I
thought it was a US 'label' that was created mainly to release/distribute
European stoner/doom rock over here, like Rise Above...is that right?), and
I almost never see a 'real' new Hawkwind album or anything (Thrilling
Adventures never showed up here).  Snapper does pretty well, as I could find
all the Ozrics, Gong and PT new releases.  But forget EBS or anything else
remotely unusual.

I think I remember Paul W. (Quarkspace) saying something about whether there
should be a 'consortium' label to release all of the SD-type spacers,
ArcMet, FF, AP, QS, BtG, etc., and the consensus was that everybody has a
'real' job, so who would do it?  Gets back to that 'younger people with more
energy' idea, or more likely, no family and/or mortgage.

Steve Hayes was just telling me (I hope it's ok to relate this info) that
none of the SD bands of years' past (save HW) have been particularly
interested in the high-quality multitrack recordings he's made from '98 and
'99.  So I guess the bands' just don't see any interest in getting
whatever-label-that-isn't-
already-ignoring-their-studio-stuff to put it out.  And some bands (like
BtG) don't even have a real release of any kind.  Anyway, the result is that
he's not going to do any recording of SD'2K.  Almost makes me wonder if
there should be a 'boc-l CD-R label' that self-produces/distributes product
and kickbacks (kicks back?) something to the artists somehow.  No, I'm not
volunteering.  :) Bob L./Kevin S. kinda did this on their own with Bob's
tapes (?), and I'd imagine that we would have more success obtaining the
music we wanted if we got it ourselves (this way), rather than waiting for
the bands to find go-betweens to get it to us.  No offense, Andy.  We know
you try!  :)  (We need Dead Earnest US).

Alright, I hafta go back into the lab now....continue please, this is an
interesting discussion (finally!).

Grakkl (FAA)

ObCD:  Uzgin Uver - S/T (Hungary has it together!)  :)