More Hawkwind Decoded

Joe Loehr JLoehr4299 at AOL.COM
Sun Aug 13 23:56:54 EDT 2000

Hello Music Lovers:

I've been at it again, and learned some new Hawkwind songs (for those of you
that are interested). I learned these songs from the ORIGINAL versions, off
of Doremi and Warrior, so don't respond saying they're in the wrong bloody
key, compared to some later live version!

Thanx to D-Rider for the lyrics (Long may your dragon fly!)

Thanks oh so much

Joe Loehr

LORD OF LIGHT(Brock) in the key of D-Flat, I think
Intro: F Major for 15(!!) bars  B-Flat (2 bars) /A-Flat (2 bars) /G-Flat (2
bars) /F (2 bars)

Verse:

B-Flat                                       A-Flat
"The elements that gather here/upon this hill shall cast no fear
G-Flat                                              F Major
Of lines that match across the world/for travel which no man has ever heard .
. ."

Into break:
       F Major                              <E-Flat Minor (x2) /A-Flat (x2)>
repeat 6 times
". . . here our lifetime has begun/  What can I see, what can I see . . .

F Major for 4 bars, back into verse

TIME WE LEFT THIS WORLD TODAY(Brock) D-Flat also
Intro: D-Flat/E-Flat/--/--/  ('--' = no chord) play 4 times.  Then:
D-Flat/E-Flat/F#/F (8 times)

Verse: d=D-Flat; e=E-Flat
 d               e/ F#           F        d          e   F#          F
"Time we left/this world today/ time we left/this world today . . ."

The middle break is D Major and goes on (too long?) to repeat of verse

DYING SEAS(Turner)
Intro:-single notes-  DDADDA/D#D#A# D#A# (play 7 times[14 bars]
At the start of bar # 11 play: D(1 bar)/D# (1 bar)--play twice into verse

Verse:
 D                           D#                   D                         D#
"We flostsam been, and the jetsam/ In highness being, gonna get some
A#                                C#/C/A#/G#/A#
C#/C/A#/G#
On the water walking, it's easy to be/Centralized we to infinity
G                                                A
For oursel'n only have we to thank/If fool enow are we to walk the plank
B                                     C#
Eternity to spend in mime/ Drowning in the dying seas of Time . . ."

Break: C#(1 bar)/F#(1 bar)--repeat 4 times

         B(2 bars)/C(2 bars)/C#(2 bars)/D(2 bars)--back to verse

I think Dying Seas in is B phrygian mode, or some variation there of. My Scale
s and Modes for Guitar book sez that phrygian has the 2,3 6 & 7 intervals
lowered a half step. In this song that would be C#(C), D#(D), G#(G) & A#(A).
Just when I think I've learned a lot about music, some goofy stuff comes in.
"The more I learn, the less I know" --It's All Too Much(George Harrison)