Review: Canterbury Sound Festival 2000 (Man, Arthur Brown, Go ng, etc)

Wed Aug 16 08:56:51 EDT 2000

On Wed, 16 Aug 2000, Chris Warburton wrote:

> A little more about Colosseum & Caravan and what they played would have been
> very welcome to this old crow who's a long-time fan of both bands, but I
> guess I can't expect TOO much from young whippersnappers!!!!!

        First I knew of either band, I'm afraid, so I couldn't provide
many details. I know that Colosseum had a massive sound-check performed
largely by the drummer which later transpired to be his solo, almost
blow-for-blow, and that the saxohonist made a damn good show of playing
treble and tenor saxes together in his. The drummer introduced all the
band at the end of their set and finished of with, "And I'm just the
drummer..."

        Caravan were missing their regular drummer and had someone else in
who was introduced, as far as I could tell purely because of his hat, as
Captain Beefheart... They opened with `Liar', which they told us a lot
about, and were the only band to get any benefit from the lights, which
weren't terribly good, but still. They looked a lot more like a
professional act as a result (Gong having looked rather more like a circus
- Continental of course). But seeing as we were, well, full, and had a
lift waiting we didn't stay out their set. I think they'd have been wise
to have Gong on last, really.

        Now, that really is all I can tell you :-) Yours,
                                                          Jon

--
 |  Jon Jarrett (01223 741219)           jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk
 | "Zeron Gamma Two continuum entropy control parameters - AFFIRMATIVE!" |