HW: Rainbow 81

J D Jeremy at DACOMBE.FSNET.CO.UK
Wed Aug 23 17:51:29 EDT 2000

Hi,
This is in response to Andre's request for more info.

Er, what can I tell you 19 years after the event?
I think was snowing (although that's largely irrelevant, but kinda sets the
scene).
This was, of course, back in the days when HW were still commanding large
crowds at prestigious venues, so the sense of occasion was overwhelming.
I was thrilled to be at the legendary Rainbow.
The tape of the show tells the story of the gig really.
There was no hint beforehand that Bob, Nik & Mike would turn up so I was
amazed when bob stepped on stage.
I don't think I really knew it was him until he spoke.
His attire evades my memory now, possibly combat-ish gear, but wouldn't bet
on it.
Talk of Nik and then him appearing on stage had me in a complete state of
Nirvana.
The duo spot that they performed was absolute tripe, as the tape testifies,
but that didn't matter, we had 2 HW legends on stage. This was my first
sighting of Nik with HW (although I'd seen ICU is 1980), I'd seen Bob in
Hawklords days, but wouln't have been able to pick him out from an identity
parade.
The lighting and effects for these 2 was minimal, and it wouldn't surprise
me if the whole idea had only had 10 mins planning put into it.
Anyway, they had fun and the audience loved it.
There was only a short break before the gig proper started, and what a gig
it was, still one of my favourites from over 50 gigs since 1978.
The Astral Projections were astounding, the performance out-standing, the
inclusion of the 3 legends throughout amazing.
And all during the Xmas holidays.
What more can I say?
This is the gig that sound have been released on video.
I took a trip down Portabello Rd and found The Mountain Grill restaurant the
next day.
Those were the days.
"Jumpers for goalposts" as someone on the list recently said, which still
makes me laugh!
Anybody going to The Victoria in Derby on Friday for Hasbeen/Spacehead/Time
Brothers?
(Apart from Mark Lee & myself that is).
Jez Dacombe