BOC: Songs that Set the Hook (was: Re: So long and thanks for all the hawks)

Fri Aug 25 15:37:04 EDT 2000

On Fri, 25 Aug 2000, Jean Lansford wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Aug 2000, "Ted Jackson jr." <tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU>
> wrote:
>
> >This is tough, as there are 2 categories for me:  best performance
> >vs. songs that originally hooked me on the band--in fact that might be
> >another thread...
>
> So let's start it.
>
> For me, the first song I heard was Last Days of May. Unfortunately,
> KDF rarely told you who the bands were, so the first album I bought
> was AOF, just because the cover art was cool. I never looked back.
>
> But if I had to pick one song, it would be...
>
> The Revenge of Vera Gemini.

        Well, for me it's actually the same song - except the original
thread excluded that one, it being `Reaper'... Heard it twice on the radio
in about the same number of years, and having actually realised when I
heard it the third time that the bit before and after the guitar break
were both the same song, I was pleased to get it on a GenericRockComp
(tm) tape - except it wasn't, it had the guitar break _cut_ _out_! Argh!
So I was immediately forced to go to Watford Market, where there was and
probably is an excellent music stall which did and probably does tapes in
a world where everyone else has forgotten them, and among them were four
BOC albums. After some deliberation I chose _Some Enchanted Evening_
because I thought a song called `Godzilla' was probably a good thing - and
I got it home and heard `Astronomy'...

        And ever since I have known BOC to be the greatest band ever to
strike a note. I'll sit down now :-) Yours,
                                            Jon

ObCD: The Not Very Good Interval Band - _Peru_
--
 |  Jon Jarrett (01223 741219)           jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk
 | "Zeron Gamma Two continuum entropy control parameters - AFFIRMATIVE!" |