BOC: Songs that Set the Hook

Joseph Brooks Joseph.Brooks at GCCCD.NET
Mon Aug 28 11:01:19 EDT 2000

Hmm.. Perhaps its because of my age. We tend to look back fondly on what we
liked when we were young. To me, the first 3 BOC albums were *it*.
Personally, I think BOC hit their peak with Secret Treaties. Everything
after just pales for me. I tend to think of BOC as almost two bands, pre-ST
and post-ST.

OYFOOYK was great fun but I was mad because I remember on the last tour
before they came out with it, Eric had said something to the effect that
they were recording so, "make a lot of noise!" I was dissappointed to find
no cuts from my home town on it. Seriously, it was a little sloppier and
poorly recorded for my 10 bucks.

Most every album past Spectres had at least a song or two on it that I liked
but were hardly classics. I especially liked Mirrors and Cultosaurus. I
bought both Revolution by Night and Club Ninja as they came out and I could
count the number of times I've listened to those albums on one hand. Very
bland and boring to me.

I consider ST to be ground breaking and classic but BOC has never surpassed
it. Imaginos is another classic IMO but as I discovered (much to my
disappointment), you can call it a BOC album only in the broadest sense. I
remember hearing it the first time and being so blown away and thinking,
"wow! They're back!"

I'm afraid BOC has become a nostalgia act for me as well. It seems to me
that if you look at what they're doing live these days (er, its been about 3
years since I last caught them), thats about what they want to be.

JB