BOC: X-Brothers

Brian Halligan blackblade at BHALLIGAN.COM
Tue Aug 29 08:31:50 EDT 2000

Nick wrote:

> I finally got my hands on a copy of X-Brothers --
> "Solid Citizens". . . and I really, really like it.
> Maybe I'm just way off base here, but there's some
> intangible, classic BOC-ish quality that I'm hearing in
> these songs that really makes me think Joe was a much
> bigger part of the overall Cult sound than I'd
> realized.

I agree with you there. Stuff like "Hot Time in Hell" especially. I wish
they performed that song a little heavier though. Less keys and more guitar.
I'm not thrilled with the ballads on the CD. I think if they were BOC tunes,
they'd have been down toward the bottom of the list with "Eyes on Fire" ;-)

>[...] "Solid Citizens" in many ways felt more like
> a BOC album than "Heaven Forbid" or any of the Brain
> Surgeons stuff.

I don't think I would ever mistake it for a BOC release if I just heard it
in passing, but there is that vibe. If Joe asked Al and Buck to guest on the
next X-Bros. CD, then we might have the closest thing to a new classic BOC
album.

I think guesting is great, but I'd rather not have a permanent BOC reunion
if it kept Al, Joe, Buck, and 3OC from making their own unique music. Not
that I'd begrudge one reunion CD and tour, of course. ;-)

Brian