HW:Ticketmaster & Visa

Ted Jackson jr. tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Tue Aug 29 10:02:30 EDT 2000

On 29 Aug 00, at 9:44, Paul Mather wrote:

> Actually, I've heard that debit cards are the absolutely *least safe*
> way to buy "with plastic."  They have little or none of the
> protections that come with credit cards (refusing charges; dispute
> resolution; etc.),

I'm not sure how using a debit card would be a problem for dispute
resolution.  There is still a transaction record.  You mean getting your
money back?  Could be a problem there, I guess...

 and are a direct line to your bank account.

The way to do it [or so I'm told by a friend who does a lot of internet
buying] is to have an account just for this purpose, not tied to your
regular bank account.  Then maintain a balance just for purchasing.
When inactive, keep just a couple of dollars in the account
[obviously, some banks won't like this and will likely charge you a
service fee].  When you want to use the card for purchases, simply
find out what the cost is, and put the appropriate amount in the
account...

> In fact, that's the reason I ditched my debit card in favour of a
> credit card.

To be honest, I never use my debit card for internet buying, but the
original poster was averse to using a credit card...

> I've heard some people advise getting a separate credit card just for
> online and mail-order purchases, one with a low credit limit to
> prevent third-party abuse.

Laws vary, but in most states, you're liable only for the first 50 dollars
of fraudulent use, so the credit limit approach isn't necessary.  But
make sure you know the local laws!

theo