BOC: X-Brothers

Nick English nick at NETPHD.NET
Tue Aug 29 10:08:04 EDT 2000

I guess a "BOC vibe" is a pretty good way to describe
the feeling I got off Solid Citizens.  And while I
liked Heaven Forbid, I don't really think it has very
much of that "vibe".  With the exception of the first
two tracks, it really doesn't feel -- lyrically or
musically -- like BOC as I've come to know them.  And
while some may say that even SIYB is hackneyed, I found
it delicious.  "I'd like to see you in black/It'd make
me feel like your husband's dead" is no more or less
corny than "I'd like to do it to your daughter on a
dirt road".

As for Brain Surgeons, I think they're quite a
departure from BOC, but in mostly good ways.  When
Eponymous came out, I was hoping for BOC Jr., but was
pleasantly surprised to find that Al wanted us to "work
a little harder", if you will.

Yes, I agree that "Hot Time In Hell" is a cult-ish
tune, but the one that really put me in mind of classic
BOC is "Dream Machine".  Damn, I can't get enough of
that song!

--Nick