BOC: X-Brothers, Heaven Forbid, Brain Surgeons

Nick English nick at NETPHD.NET
Wed Aug 30 09:52:42 EDT 2000

> > I think guesting is great, but I'd rather not have
a permanent BOC
> reunion
> > if it kept Al, Joe, Buck, and 3OC from making their
own unique music. Not
> > that I'd begrudge one reunion CD and tour, of
course. ;-)

> Yes, no BOC fan would complain about seeing the
original 5 together
> again for a few shows - but very few would probably
want them to be back
> together permanently - the musical output is greater
for the most part
> now with the various entities putting out their own
stuff.

Are you guys kidding???  I'd trade everything after
Imaginos for one really heartfelt, kick-ass new studio
by the original five members!  ON the other hand, I
don't really think I'd care all that much to see them
just rehashing the old stuff. I'd still pay to see it,
mind you. . . but I'd much rather see a full-on studio
collaboration.

> Kind of like the way BOC fans hear K.C. and the
Sunshine Band when
> listening to "Damaged" of HF (I'm Damaged - uh huh,
uh huh - and Like It
> - uh huh, uh huh...)  ;-)

Thanks alot, John.  I used to like that song!!!

> Well, what I liked most about SYIB (as a first single
and an album
> opener), and the somewhat cheezy cover-art is that
there appeared to be
> a sense of daring with the band - a sense that they
were going to come
> out as a hard-hitting rock/metal act - not at all
like, oh, say *Club
> Ninja*.

I actually like the cover art on HF.  The only thing I
found cheezy about it is that the dude's face is a
little too explicit.  Otherwise, I think it's a pretty
cool, PHantom of the Opera-ish concept.

> Personally, I really enjoy female vocalists, so the
fact that Al doesn't
> sing all tBS stuff doesn't bother me - some people
like Deb's vocals,
> some don't.  I don't think it's the case of her being
a "bad" singer
> (far from it), but her delivery may not be for all.

I'd have to say I'm somewhere in the middle.  I like
her on some songs, don't on others.  I have to say,
though, that she  really ruins one of my favorite TBS
tunes, "A Kiss Is A Promise", with that ungodly
wailing.  That high-pitched, throat-ravaging scream
just doesn't fit if you ask me.  Otherwise I think it's
a great tune.

--Nick