HW: So Alan's back!

Wed Aug 30 13:16:30 EDT 2000

On Mon, 28 Aug 2000, Denis Regenbrecht wrote:

> Any ideas, what will happen to Ron now? Will he return to the
> "only-front-man"-role, or will he leave the band (if he hasn't already done
> it - it was relatively quiet about him the last few months)?

        I've said it before, but I think Ron's had a rough run of it - as
frontman he was always being compared to Calvert, but what with Bob being
dead no-one could clamour for him to rejoin. Since he picked up the bass
though it seems to me that all the clamour has been for the reunion gigs
and Lemmy Lemmy Lemmy. When I saw them on the Love in Space tour Ron was
being given the whole stage. Last couple of gigs I've seen, though, Dave
has been a lot more active and Ron's quite often not got a word in
edgeways. Watching him trying to out-weird Nik at Croydon was also pretty
painful.

        I quite like Ron's presence in the band, but he does seem to be in
a threatened position. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he'd got tired of
it. He seems to have a less easy-going attitude than the older members and
I could see him getting fed up with not being given the space to make an
impact. And to be honest, if Alan's rejoining, the impact is all that Ron
can contribute.

        Still, if Alan is back in that's got to be a good thing. When I
saw Bedouin in Cambridge a while back he was saying that he'd quit becuase
the band never wanted to _do_ anything. I can only hope that if he's
coming back they're making some attempt to remedy that :-) Yours,
                                                                  Jon

--
 |  Jon Jarrett (01223 741219)           jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk
 | "Zeron Gamma Two continuum entropy control parameters - AFFIRMATIVE!" |