BOC: X-Brothers, Heaven Forbid, Brain Surgeons

Joseph Brooks Joseph.Brooks at GCCCD.NET
Thu Aug 31 11:16:46 EDT 2000

> Yes, and there's the rub - that's why I say I don't think BOC
> fans would
> really want it - it's like my fantasy of wishing that Imaginos was
> recorded after Some Enchanted Evening (instead of Mirrors) - it's fun
> for speculation, but when you hold it up to the realities of life, it
> just wouldn't have worked.

Well, wanting it to happen and actually believing that it *could* happen are
two different things. I don't understand the comment about fans not wanting
it though.

> And again, I'm not saying we wouldn't like to see a "reunion", I just
> don't think a continued long-term partnership would be in the best
> interests of the bandmembers or the fans.

I disagree. IF it could be done (big IF), I think it would be great for all
concerned. Again, thats IF it could be done the right way. I know there are
various reasons that doing that would be problematic. I don't care, I'm just
wishing.. (If wishes were fishes...)

> > I have been listening to Imaginos lately. That CD is so good its
> > almost mind
> > boggling. I'd like to see them do something in that vein...
> Listen to
> > the
> > vibe on that album and go from there.
>
> Yeah, but you are assuming the band WOULD go from there.  The main
> reason those songs exist is because of Albert - most of BOC
> didn't want
> to do it.  All post-release bitterness aside, what do you think the
> chance is that the original 5 would all agree to go in that
> direction if
> they were to get together?

Again, I'm just saying what *I* want them to do, not neccesarily what they
would do. My guess is that if it happened, I'd prolly end up disappointed in
the end. My expectations would be unrealistic. But hey, who knows? Sometimes
you *can* go back...

> > Its a step in the right direction.. who knows what may result in the
> > aftermath?
>
> I see it more as a step in the direction of friendships that transcend
> music - I don't see it as necessarily a step toward future musical
> collaboration.  That isn't why they got together.  From a fan's
> standpoint it's very cool to think that we will hear music in
> the future
> from Buck/Al/Joe playing together.

Of course, I'm speaking as a fan, I don't know these people on a personal
level and their private affairs are not my concern. I'm looking at it (maybe
selfishly) as a possibility that friendships rekindled could perhaps lead to
the desire to perform together as well.

>  If it ultimately leads to future musical
> collaboration, that's great - but that would really be a by-product of
> why they got back together in the first place (and it would be unfair
> for fans to place any sort of expectation in this).

Expectations, no.. Hope? Yes...

> Paul Stanley once said, "How can you understand rock and roll if you
> don't have balls?"
> Of course, he made a living out of wearing makeup... ;-)

Hah! Great quote!

> > > *Piece of Work*, is their most recent, slickest, and most
> > > varied CD.  A
> > > little something for everyone, and very well-done -- the
> "layers" of
> > > instrumentation are many, and the sound is great.
> >
> > Now that made my pointy little ears stand up! The "layered"
> effect is
> > to me
> > what makes Imaginos so great.
>
> Hmm... never thought to compare *Imaginos* to *Piece of Work* - both
> have lots of "layers", but very different stylisticly for the
> most part.

Having never heard *Piece of Work*, I wouldn't know. I was merely mentioning
that I enjoy music with "layers" and so perhaps would enjoy PoW more than I
did Eponymous.

> > I never bought the Sabbath Reunion disc.  How is it?
> Doesn't it have
> > a couple of new tunes?  Do they compare to the old stuff?
>
> The Sabbath Reunion disc is cool because 1) it has the reunion and 2)
> the original line-up never did a proper live album together.  It's not
> bad, but Ozzy's voice can't hit the high notes on some of the
> songs like
> he used to.  Instrumentation is good and production is slick.  The new
> songs are fairly forgettable - not bad, but not exactly the second
> coming (or is this the third, fourth, or fifth) of Black Sabbath.

I actually don't miss most of Ozzy's high notes.. I found them a little
obnoxious (Listen to Sabbath Bloody Sabbath) and it actually is easier on
the ears with him unable to reach them. Also, you can get hours of good
family entertainment just trying to count how many times Ozzy says, "Lemme
see your fucking hands in the air!"

> PS:  Gee, weren't we just complaining recently about the lack of BOC
> content?  ;-)

Leave it to an opinionated bastard like me to stir up the pot :)

JB