BOC: X-Brothers, Heaven Forbid, Brain Surgeons

Brian Halligan blackblade at BHALLIGAN.COM
Thu Aug 31 13:20:32 EDT 2000

JB writes:

> Well, wanting it to happen and actually believing that it *could* happen are
> two different things. I don't understand the comment about fans not wanting
> it though.

In my case, I just said I wasn't hoping for a "permanent" reunion. I would
love to have a reunion CD and tour, but I wouldn't want a reformed BOC to
infringe on the great stuff Al, Joe, etc. are putting out on their own.

>> I see it more as a step in the direction of friendships that transcend
>> music - I don't see it as necessarily a step toward future musical
>> collaboration.  That isn't why they got together.  From a fan's
>> standpoint it's very cool to think that we will hear music in
>> the future
>> from Buck/Al/Joe playing together.
>
> Of course, I'm speaking as a fan, I don't know these people on a personal
> level and their private affairs are not my concern. I'm looking at it (maybe
> selfishly) as a possibility that friendships rekindled could perhaps lead to
> the desire to perform together as well.

I look at The Brain Surgeons performing Godzilla live as a step in this
direction. Of course, it doesn't mean they'll definitely get together. But
if BOC starts playing Magna of Illusion.... ;-)

> Having never heard *Piece of Work*, I wouldn't know. I was merely mentioning
> that I enjoy music with "layers" and so perhaps would enjoy PoW more than I
> did Eponymous.

I did. Box of Hammers has this sound as well, and it has a more similar vibe
between songs (as much as can be said for a Brain Surgeons release) than
PoW. So, I'd personally go with that album first.

> I actually don't miss most of Ozzy's high notes.. I found them a little
> obnoxious (Listen to Sabbath Bloody Sabbath) and it actually is easier on
> the ears with him unable to reach them.

I agree about Sabbath Bloody Sabbath. It's like the difference between the
album and live versions of 7x7 (Hawkwind). The live version doesn't make my
ears bloody bleed.

>Also, you can get hours of good
> family entertainment just trying to count how many times Ozzy says, "Lemme
> see your fucking hands in the air!"

Or "Louder! Louder!" Must be Ozzy's been listening to the studio Sabbath
Bloody Sabbath too much over the years. "No, really, I can't hear you!" ;-)

>> PS:  Gee, weren't we just complaining recently about the lack of BOC
>> content?  ;-)
>
> Leave it to an opinionated bastard like me to stir up the pot :)
>
> JB

Yes. Thank you! Has anyone heard the new BOC tunes "Eye of the Hurricane,"
"Pocket," (Guess what's in my?) and "Now is the Time The Old Gods Return"
and want to expound on the "sounds like AC/DC" or "like a Buck tune"
analysis?

Could one of these actually be a new Spinal Tap tune?
"Now is the Time the Old Gods Return (The Time For the Returning of the Old
Gods is Now)"

Brian
obSong> "Back From the Dead" Spinal Tap