HW: 1970's footage

Johan Edlundh joe.e at TELIA.COM
Fri Dec 1 10:59:06 EST 2000

At 14:37 2000-12-01 -0000, you wrote:
>The 1970 footage comes from a London gig not Isle Of Wight albeit without
>sound - so that makes two films from 1970 at least. It would be interesting
>to see these even if overdubbed by material from the first LP.
>
>The Space Ritual footage rumours: is this a combination of the two rumours
>that I have heard of i) Nik Turner has the b and w footage, and ii) part of
>the show was filmed by Swedish/Danish TV. As for rumour i) I put this Nik
>during the Q and A session - he didn't have it, and hadn't heard of it, but
>was into releasing it if it could be found. Rumour ii) may be derived from
>the information that a Scandanavian TV station filmed part of the 74 tour
>(in colour!!). The truth is, as they say,  out there.
>
>Dave

As I don't remember the details from my investigations in this issue, I've
used the archive to make some cut'n'paste work. This is the results:
[BOC-l-archive: 1995, 1997, 1999]

If I could find that paper clip, I'll scan the Space Poppers and make it
available on the net.

------------------------------------
1973.09.15 Swedish television filmed a Peace and Love festival in
Scandinavium, Gothenburg, where the Hawks was one of 6-8 bands playing
all night. The whole set was filmed, and was broadcasted almost a year
later - 1974.07.26 - in our second uncommercial channel TV2, local
time 21:35.

I got a clip from the tv guide in the local tabloid paper Aftonbladet
26th of July 1974, saying "Rymdpop, Tasavallan och Pugh i jättegala"

There's a big color pic of an eight musicnauts strong Hawkwind, along
with the following [fast] translated text:

"The pop festival in Gothenburg was a disapoinment, said the critics.
The English Space Poppers Hawkwind, with its light- and soundshow
"Space Ritual" was one of the more interesting piece, meant one
recencent."

The Hawkwind shot was well cut down - only a 2-3 mins passage of the
second verse of Master of the Universe was left - but "it was HEAVY"
claims hawkfriend K.Sören Bengtsson of darXtar, who is remembering
Seeing It As It Really Were in his parents television set.

Nazareth was on the festival bill, but didn't show up.

Hawkwind was probably on stage at the same minute our old king died, that
very evening in 1973. There was no mention of something Earthly as a pop
festival in the papers the days after, for understandable reasons.

If you got a time machine, and manage to tune in 26th of July, National
Swedish Broadcast TV2, 21:35 - you've also got 2-3 minutes of Master of the
Universe.

Unfortunally the Royal Swedish Television have erased all media from this
event to save Space on their shelves.

peace, .joe