HW: Alan Davey/Bedouin Mini-Review

Darrin McKeehen dmckeehen at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Dec 1 20:51:18 EST 2000

After seeing Bedouin at Brixton I feel I should check out some of Alan's
solo stuff. The albums that seem to be readily obtainable are Captured
Rotation, Chaos Delight, and (confusingly enough) Bedouin. Reviews,
comments, recommendations?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Captured Rotation is the shit!

     Must have for any Alan Davey/ Hawkfan
           Ron Tree on 3 tracks.
               'nough said!

Bedouin: Good, but can't touch CR. More straight ahead and less spacerock.
Also, has the obvious middle eastern tunes. A little disappointing after CR
and kinda weak compared to the others. Best Tune is the 11:19 minute Wadi
Dhar. The rest of the tunes are in the 5:00 min range.

Bedouin - Live In Europe Summer 1998
1) Sword Of The East - Kicks Ass!
2) Wings - Pretty cool interpretation.
3) Rock Palace - Opening track from Chaos Delight
   2 minutes longer than the studio track and better.
4) Arioch - Kicks Ass!
5) Bass Junk - Also pretty cool.

Crisp "live" SBD recording. More on the metal side and less on the spacerock
side. Possibly the most similar to what you saw at Brixton, but from the
accounts that I have read, not quite as heavy...(?) Total Time: 29:26 Must
have!

Sci-Fi-delic
1) Sci-fi-delic - driving spacerock instrumental, basic   but excellent.
2)Vulcan Ritual - less driving, more ambient spacerock instrumental
3) Interceptor 1 - catchy spacerock instrumental. Somewhat Krel-like w/ a
guitar edge.
4) Holosuite Program - very middle eastern spacey instrumental.
5) Eagle Alpha - Driving spacerock instrumental w/ heavy drums. Excellent.

This resembles Captured Rotation more than the others, but more basic, not
as "produced" and no Ron Tree. Alan plays all instruments w/ emphasis on
synths and not too much guitar. Also, crisp "studio" recording. tracks
average in the 5:00 range. Total time 24:49. Must have.

Don't have Chaos Delight. I am told that it is better than the S/T Bedouin.
Waiting for Jerry Kranitz or someone in the USA to get me a copy. (hint ")

Hope this Helps!

D-Rider
(Darrin)