OFF : Smile

Doug Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Fri Dec 8 17:31:59 EST 2000

On Fri, 8 Dec 2000 16:40:54 EST, DASLUD at AOL.COM wrote:
>In a message dated 12/8/00 3:55:38 PM, ceres at SIRIUS.COM writes:
><< Don't forget that the Clash and the Dream Syndicate also had
>Pearlman-produced albums ...
> >>
>=====
>which isnt to say that the attempted "rockin' americanization" of the clash
>did them any favors....

It sure put "question marks" over a LOT of peoples' heads ... of course,
their SECOND attempt at "rockin' americanization" was the one that did them
all the financial favors (jeans commercials, etc.).  And for that matter,
on Fri, 8 Dec 2000 19:36:32 -0000, starfield <starfield at SUPANET.COM> wrote:
>How about a poll of the most disappointing albums by bands who should know
>better?

'Combat Rock'!  (vs. first album & 'London Calling')

FWIW I actually like 'Give 'em enough Rope' quite a bit ... enough good
songs, and the guitar sound is undeniably MASSIVE.

... and back to DASLUD Larry ...
>and why wasnt that drum f*ckup near the end of 'days of wine and roses'
>allowed to remain, w/o doing another take? that annoyed the heck outta me.

I never noticed that!  (But I'm not a drummer.)  It's a fantastic take,
otherwise, though.  That's always a number-one producer crisis - what to do
when a brilliant take has one major noticeable fuckup ... "punching in"
drum retakes can be near-impossible (compared to doing so with
guitar/bass/keyboard/etc.).  I think (don't have the LP in front of me)
that you'd have to blame Chris Desjarins for that one (and if so, he more
than redeemed himself with the first four Flesheaters LP's), though.  Their
second LP, 'The Medicine Show', was the SP-produced one.

>funfax:
>'dictators go girl crazy' was one of the worst-selling lp's in that
>conglomerate's history.

... allegedly the absolute worst-selling music album from the pre-Sony
CBS/Columbia/Epic/etc. conglomerate was the Hampton Grease Band's 'Music To
Eat' (second-worst seller overall, behind a spoken-word/poetry/nature
sounds/comedy or something along those lines album).

>ah, what did they know in '75, anyway. hmph.

Indeed!  But now both albums ('Tators, 'Grease Band) have been reissued on
CD by Sony.  Nice to see the good stuff vindicated by History every once in
a while ...

        -Doug
         ceres at sirius.com