Hawkwind.org+ADSL=:-)

Rich Warren rich.warren at BTINTERNET.COM
Sun Dec 10 12:37:54 EST 2000

You Sign Up with BT(theres probably only them doing it up there in Scotland
at the minute)
You need to be within 3.5km from your exchange, it needs to be adsl enabled,
the line needs to test as suitable and you need USB on your PC.
Then they rip you off for a heinous 150quid installation charge(I avoided
this because i preordered in June)
Then they charge you 39.99 a month.
They can convert the line within 3 weeks, it runs on your normal phone line,
and both can be on at once, no more engaged tones.

What you get is a 576,000KBps always on internet connection through an ADSL
modem.  There are no Call charges, and your ISP is in with the 39quid rental
charge.

If you wait a few more weeks some of the other telcos will be doing it for
alot less money, but they're concentrating on the South at the minute

I guess you have to balance it off against how much you spend at the minute,
and whether you need the speed.  If you play any online games its superb.
If you do mainly email there isn't much of a benefit.  For the more advanced
web pages, and all that virtual worlds avatar stuff it's great.

Obviously if you do alot of MP3s the download speed can be 50k-70k a second
so it's excellent for that.  3MB a minute probably, so 20 minutes for a
whole album say.  Oh yeah and the speed is good enough to run the broadband
TV broadcasts on the net from around the world.  I was watching the Nasa
stuff live from the shuttle a couple of nights ago looks just like normal
telly on broadband.

Mama I love My ADSL.

Rich