HW: Captain Beyond tribute

Zeitgeist stuarthamilton at REDHOTANT.COM
Sun Dec 10 19:56:09 EST 2000

Now let me see.

Reviewed it at; http://the-rocker.freeservers.com/August2000/reviews.html

And said;
VARIOUS ARTISTS - Thousand Days Of Yesterdays: A Tribute To Captain Beyond
(Record Heaven)

      Featuring; Pentagram, Rise And Shine, Standarte, Lotus w/ Brian
Robertson, ex Thin Lizzy, Flower Kings, Five Fifteen w/Nik       Turner, The
Quill, Zello, Locomotive Breath, ZoomlenZ - w/ Willie Daffern, Orchid
Leaves, Qoph, Abramis Brama

      Do you ever get the feeling that this whole tribute thing is going a
bit too far? In 1972, Captain Beyond released their first album.        The
band featured ex Deep Purple singer Rod Evans, Rhino and Lee Dorman from
Iron Butterfly and Bobby Caldwell from the Johnny Winter Band. Basically
sidemen who other, possibly more creative forces, decided had outlived their
usefulness. I've heard the original and, although better than Nick Simpers
Warhorse, it was nothing special. This tribute CD is based entirely on this,
with some additional bonustracks.

      But do you want to know what's really astonishing? This is bloody
brilliant! From the mad guitar on "Dancing Madly Backwards (On A Sea Of
Air)" by Pentagram through the twisted riff of "Armworth" by Rise And Shine
on into the cascading  "Raging River Of Fear" done here by the Flower Kings,
this is quite phenomenal. Which goes to show that memory plays tricks. Maybe
it's the sheen of a 21st century production, maybe they're just better
musicians, whatever, this is superb. We'll even forgive Captain Beyond the
Hendrix rip off that is "I Can't Feel Nothing (Part 1)".

      Chuck in some guest appearances by ex-pat Robbo and Nik Turner honking
away merrily on the (surprisingly) funky title track with Five Fifteen, this
is virtually faultless. Just to let you know, this spent 3 days in the CD
player without a break, seriously  jeopardising deadline day for Z. Buy it
now.

      Record Heaven, Box 25, 230 42 Tygelsjo, Sweden info at recordheaven.net
http://www.recordheaven.net
      Cheers to Miikka Wagner who punted this my way. Good work, Finnish
fella!

So there,

SAH
The Hawkwind Shop