HW: a question of past members

David Bottomley merlinas at DIRCON.CO.UK
Mon Dec 11 03:58:39 EST 2000

Jon wrote:

>        How entirely confusing. After Keith Hale left in 1980 there was no
>new keyboardist until Frederick Reeves the Earl of Essex in 1983, because
>as Dave says in the _Sonic Attack_ liner, "Harvey and me could do it". Or
>am I wrong? My initial conclusion would be that whoever this extra member
>was he was so awful that Dave decided they'd be better off without a
>keyboard player :-)

No, but according to Kris's "This Is Hawkwind, Do Not Panic", in mid-81 (in
the wake of Keith Hale & Ginger's  departure) "A friend of Huw's, Tim,
stepped in as keyboard player, but during rehearsals it gradually became
apparent that he, also, was not suitable". So maybe that's the one?

BTW, the "also" in this quote refers in part to one of the drummers they
were using during these rehearsals - Robbie Dobson (ex-Enid). Now there's a
thought - do the most dedicated of Completists feel the need to trawl
through the back catalogue of The Enid? Rather you than me..............

Dave

>> Tim Blake is there in the list of people who'd played keyboards etc with
>> them (along with Dik Mik, Del Dettmar, Simon House, Paul Hayles, Steve
>> Swindells, Twink, Keith Hale, "and a new member being auditioned at
>> present").

>>  So, what I want to know is - who is the 'new member' mentioned? Yes, I
>> probably should be able to work it out, but can't due to brain user
error.