HW:Completists

Mon Dec 11 19:19:28 EST 2000

On Sun, 10 Dec 2000, ANDREW GARIBALDI wrote:

> The 'Thousand Days Of Yesterday' Captain Beyond Tribute features Five
> Fifteen with Nik Turner doing the title track. Also on the album are
> Pentagram, Rise & Shine, Standarte, Lotus w/ Brian Robertson, Flower Kings,
> Quill, Locomotive Breath, Zello, Orchid Leaves, Zoomlenz, Ooph & Abramis
> Brama.
> Verdict - a rather fine album that's probably way better than the original
> versions.

        Cheers for that, Andy. That seems to be as good a time as any to
say that the guest slot file and the combination discography I try to
maintain have been worked over afresh to include everything this
discussion has brought up of which I didn't previously know, and also to
include (I think) a almost-complete entry for Lemmy (bloody tribute
albums) and a fuller-but-almost-certainly-not complete one for Ginger
Baker. What I _haven't_ yet done is included the pre-Hawkwind items in
each person's history, though I have attempted to note their previous
bands. Before I start handing out copies again though (assuming anyone
wants them!) there are some questions I'd like to put to the list
regarding things I can't solve:

1) The discography in the BOC-L archives lists several items under Del
Dettmar as part of his Melodic Energy Commission period which their
current Xaliman-run homepage doesn't admit to: these are _Synthesis_,
_M=E/C^2_, and `Melody is Energy/Night Rhythm'; does anyone know if these
are actually MEC works or Del solo or what?

2) the same source lists a Calvert appearance on an LP called _Mazin
Ennet_ by a group called John Stevens Away. I can't find anything out
about this and suspect that whatever it was it was probably Mother Gong's
Bob Calvert on it rather than our one. This is a mistake which occurs
elsewhere in that file too. Can anyone confirm or refute my suspicion?

4) on a comp. called, I think, _The Best of Lemmy_, there are two tracks
by Lemmy and the Upsetters. One of them is a marvellous `Blue Suede
Shoes', but I can't remember what the other is. Does anyone know, and can
they tell me when these were recorded and whether they were issued
elsewhere before that comp.?

6) The _Great Rock Discography_ has a full track-list and personnel for
Pink Fairies _Out of the Blue and Into the Pink_ from 1995, but I can't
find a trace of it elsewhere. On the other hand I have found a Twink
Records comp of random 1974 - 1976 blues recordings by him and Mouse from
Magic Muscle (?) called _Out of the Pink and into the Blues_, which seems
to reference it. Or are they the same record? Has anyone seen the first
one?

7) The Moor with Nik Turner, _Flux_ - is it out and if so when did it get
so? Is it, out of interest, any good, and is it their material or the same
old fifteen Hawkwind songs Nik plays with whatever backing band he can
find?

     Jon Jarrett (01223 514989)       jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk