HW: Calvert poem

Bernhard Pospiech bernhard.pospiech at HOME.INS.DE
Tue Dec 12 12:33:56 EST 2000

Hi Dave

At 16:25 12.12.2000 +0000, you wrote:
>Can anyone help me stick a title on this Bob Calvert poem from >HW's set
at Reading in '75? It begins.....

Here it is:

Ode to a Crystal Set

There wasn't much to you at all: a pair
Of headphones, and a knob to twiddle;
But you beat the sixgun and the saddle,
You were futuristic as Colonel Dare.
And so was I, in your bakelite 'phones
Tuned-in to the insect language of morse,
Always at war with the alien force
Of crackling static's interference zones.
And at night I listened to voices drone
With your dark conches pressed against my ears,
And dreamt there were voices among the stars
The priviledge of hearing was mine alone.
With your earthed antenna divining air,
You traced the future of your trans-sisters.
Oracular wire, you were the cat's whiskers
Till I heard the superheterodyne's blare.

cheers
Bernhard