HW: No Dope + Hawkwind??????

Brian Halligan blackblade at BHALLIGAN.COM
Thu Dec 14 11:01:44 EST 2000

Richard wrote:

> You
> would think the people in charge of selecting the music for shoppers to hear
> would have realised by now if you play people something meaningful they will
> shop longer.

I think shopping mall music has to be vanilla in order to *not be an
irritant* to the greatest number of people. Play something complicated and
people may get bothered and leave. The best Muzak should let you know it's
there, but you shouldn't be able to remember what song was playing when you
leave the store. If you did, it was distracting you from concentrating on
the merchandise.

I think a lot of people who listen to Top 40 constantly do so because they
don't think about music. They don't actively listen, nor do they want to-
it's not their bag. To them, music's just there. Or it has a nice beat that
perks me up. Or, "I can dance to it with no difficulty."

And the people who do actively listen appreciate different aspects of the
music. There's people to whom sound quality and the mix are more important
than the music itself, people who only like the R&B style of singing, people
who love singing in general and could care less about the instrumentation.
Hey, *somebody* likes every band that ever was. Even Hawkwind and BOC. But
play it in the mall, and watch the place clear out. ;-)

Brian

--
Brian Halligan
mailto:blackblade at bhalligan.com