HW: finest moments

Ductor, Dan [NEUUS] DDUCTOR at NEUUS.JNJ.COM
Thu Dec 14 11:19:50 EST 2000

I totally agree with Doug.  Those were my choices also.  The SR Earth
Calling fade out to Born
To Go, however, is my all time favorite moment!  Classic!!!

Dr. Dan

        -----Original Message-----
        From:   Doug Pearson [SMTP:ceres at SIRIUS.COM]
        Sent:   Wednesday, December 13, 2000 3:59 PM
        To:     BOC-L at LISTSERV.SPC.EDU
        Subject:        Re: HW: finest moments

        This is a great thread!  Tough to narrow things down to only a few
top
        moments, but for me, nothing beats that moment near the beginning of
a live
        set when Hawkwind have taken the stage and make the transition from
the
        electronics/intro to where the first song kicks in.  Some examples

        1) 'Space Ritual' - as "Earth Calling" fades out, the synth tone
rises,
        slower and slower and slooooower ... almost EXCRUCIATINGLY building
the
        tension until Dave breaks out the "Born To Go" guitar riff, followed
in
        rapid succession by Lemmy and the rest.

        2) 'Live at the Bottom Line' (c.78 boot) - the electronics give way
        Simon House playing the violin intro riff from "Hassan i Sahba" as a
        melodic solo the first time, then the riff repeats, doubled by
Adrian's
        bass, with Dave, Bob and Simon King all kicking in for the third
time through.

        3) 'Live 79' - Tim's & Dave's synths at the beginning are fantastic,
with
        the combined exponential and linear frequency modulations making for
        natural/random-sounding burbling (I nailed the sound using one of my
        modular synths a couple weeks ago - not necessarily looking for that
sound,
        but when I hit it, I KNEW), slowly ebbing and flowing gradually
upwards in
        intensity, then Simon clicks off the beat and Bam!  "Shot Down In
The
        Night" with everyone hitting the ground running.

        4) 1997 tour (embarassed to say I don't yet own 'Hawkwind 1997' -
[note to
        self - MUST APPLY FOR PASSPORT!], but I hope this moment is captured
on it
        ... I'm basing this on the tape I have of the Chicago/Cubby Bear
show) -
        not the explosive entry of the previous example, but the subtle
shift from
        the intro noises to the chugging synthetic rhythm of "Wheels" is
extremely
        compelling, and the song is drenched in energy when it finally
breaks out ...

        There are other great examples, but those four come to mind first,
and I
        have to give an honorable mention to "Brainbox Pollution" from 'The
1999
        Party'.

                -Doug
                 ceres at sirius.com