OFF: Vinyl

Nick Medford nick at HERMIT0.DEMON.CO.UK
Thu Dec 14 14:21:22 EST 2000

In message <200012141246.HAA03044 at syr.edu>, Ted Jackson jr.
<tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU> writes
>On 13 Dec 00, at 23:35, Jerry Guizar wrote:
>
>>    Just curious what kind of turntables list members use to listen to
>> vinyl - I hope there are some. The last one I had died about 10 years
>> ago (Gerard Zero 100) , but I'm still buying LP's. I'd like to start
>> listening to my records again (probably have around 1000), but I'm not
>> sure what's out there anymore. I don't want a DJ table, I'm looking
>> for something decent for around $200-300. The only thing I've come
>> across so far is a Sony PS-LX350H.
>>
>I second this.  I need a new 'table too.  I see there are still lots of
>them available.  What do you all recommend?
>
>theo

I'm using a Rega Planar 2, I'd recommend it very highly indeed. It wasn't
too expensive (about £150- say $250- when I got it earlier this year) but it's
superb. The thing that puts some people off Rega turntables is that various
things have to be done manually e.g. changing the belt drive (rather than
just flicking a switch) if you want to play a 45rpm record. But this is all very
easy, and not having to pay for the extra electrical innards means you get a
remarkably low price for the quality. It was a happy day when I was finally
able to get all the old vinyl out and hear it as it should be heard. Gave the
wife a shock when I brought roughly 800 albums down to the living room-
she had occasionally noticed them in the store cupboard but I don't think
she realised that one day they would emerge and take over the flat.

Another point to consider is that due to the decline in demand for vinyl,
some amps don't have a particularly good phono stage (indeed some don't
have one at all). So before you commit yourself, worth getting some advice
on how your new turntable will get on with your amp, or better still a home
trial.

Hope this helps
--
Nick Medford