OFF: Vinyl

Michael S. Habiby mhabiby1 at NYCAP.RR.COM
Thu Dec 14 15:36:58 EST 2000

Personally I recommend searching garage sales. You can get some pretty
good deals, turntables that originally cost 100's for very little
scratch.  Once you drop 50 to 75 on the replacement cartridge (that is
the key to good sound isn't it?)  Well maybe 25 to 35, you should have a
very good piece of equipment.

Look for:

A platter that you can remove. How heavy is it?
How solid does the equipment feel?
Is it belt driven or magnetic driven?  Belt is good. Mags better cause
you don't have to replace the belt.

I have both.  I have a Concept (CBS of all things) which I bought in ..
get this  1980!  IT is in perfect working condition.  2lb platter. Mag
drive.  I also have a Sony and a Techniques.  Now lots of people slag
Technique but I have had NO problems with it.

Well that is my two cents.  I'd pick up old copies of Consumer's Digest
to evaluate the older stuff.  Online reviews if you want to go new.

--
"Men of power have not time to read; yet men who do not read are unfit for power. " - Mike Foot