HW:Finest Moments

Al Ogilvy Alogilvy at AOL.COM
Thu Dec 14 17:09:58 EST 2000

 Distilling almost 28 yrs of Hawk addiction into finest moments...Hmmm!
difficult task , Memory being what it is and tastes changing with moods but
finally , if anyones interested, after much soul searching , my moments of
glory...

LIVE

Stonehenge '77...My memory of robot is that calvert was wearing a sort of
"Arabic " costume with one of those curved swords and that there was a robot
on stage, or someone dressed up anyway. ....However, my memory was quite
possibly somewhat slightly "adjusted " by certain chemical intrusions into my
metabolism !!
...I would be interested to read anyone elses recollections of the night
before solstice gig that year . This was definitely my favourite ever HW gig.
The projections were amazing. I recall pictures of flying elephants (Possibly
the Osibisa album cover) projected on screens either side of the stage. I
also have a recollection of Steppenwolf, High rise and reefer madness from
that night.
 Earth ritual tour ...Guildford
  (I think it was march '84...You know, the tour with the big programme with
the drawing of the 2 hawks against an exploding sphere on the cover.)...This
was the first time id seen HW for a couple of years...Nik in a straight
jacket on brainstorm sticks in my mind, with a huge car hub cap around his
neck, and several individuals...Possibly including Kris...in white coats
trying to pin him down !
 and the Mad Proffesors Laboratory tour (I think thats what it was called)
Hammersmith Odeon ...Laser Overdose !

 ON ALBUM

 All of Warrior (Best Album Ever Made !!) (By Anyone !!) (IMHO)

 Quark (2nd best album ever !!)...well it has to be , just for the definitive
Spirit Of the Age , and Damnation Alley.....Simons violin...Wow Goosebumps or
what !!

 Motorway city...any version

 Totally agree with Orgone / Upside down combination on SR

  Incidently....does anyone else get that chills down your spine thing when
they doA&B / Golden void ? that slide from one to the other always makes me
feel like a cold breeze blowing on my neck. Always a magic moment wherever it
appears

 And I cant finish this list without including Spirit of the age at
Hawkestra...Total magic moment !!

 In fact Hawkestra in its entirety is gradualy replacing 'henge '77,... the
more distance between my memories and the actual event the more treasured it
becomes.

Well, there you have it...an interesting exercize....first time i've tried to
do that objectively.

 Please though...I realy would like to hear anyone elses recollections of
stonehenge '77....It was a life changing experience for me and if anyone out
there went and would like to compare their recollections....or just drift
down memorylane ( damnation Alley ?) , I'd love to read it !

All the Best

Alistair