OFF: the Enid

Sebastian Welton sebastian at WELTON.DE
Thu Dec 14 21:52:20 EST 2000

In message <004701c063d6$28aab080$4e51893e at default>, david hall
<dave at PARMA29.FREESERVE.CO.UK> writes
>    I saw this mob at Stonehenge 84 they followed on from Hawkwind (who
were
>    brilliant). By that point I had developed some bad stomach cramps
(courtesy of the
>    scrumpy and other exotic fare) and was bent double over and
clinging to some
>    scaffolding at the side of the stage. I couldn't move, I was in
agony, my mate was
>    chucking up a few feet away....then that mob started
up....horrible, horrible....I
>    couldn't escape -more sonic shite than sonic attack. Having
recovered slightly I
>    returned to the stage to witness the Cardiacs, that just about
finished me off. Bad
>    feelings evaporated somewhat on the arrival of the Hawks for the
dawn gig.

>    Thought I'd share that with you

I remember seeing them some years ago at the Marquee (another farewell
concert, 2 nights entitled In The Region Of Summer Stars) which was
memorable for the fact that for an encore some little punk oadie played
the drums while they did an excellent version of Anarchy In The UK. The
Stand website shows that they are quite, er, pompous though, although I
never knew that Robert Godfrey had anything to do with Barclay James
Harvest.

Cheers,

Seb

--- From The Stand Website ---
Godfrey and Stewart find themselves working with a wide range of
artists, from Terry Hall and Katrina and the Waves, to New Model Army,
Christian Death and Conflict. Their reputation and influence has
permeated some unexpected areas of modern music. Conflict say on the
sleeve notes of their album The Final Conflict: "We would like to pay
tribute to The Enid for the inspiration of their life and work."
Sebastian Welton
sebastian at welton.de
www.welton.de