No Dope + Hawkwind??????

Fri Dec 15 15:24:55 EST 2000

On Thu, 14 Dec 2000, Richard Stockwell wrote:

>         For one day I would love to have the job of selecting the music that gets
> piped over the  system in supermarkets and shopping malls. Wonder how
> shoppers would react to say Tim Blake or Pete Namlook being played. You
> would think the people in charge of selecting the music for shoppers to hear
> would have realised by now if you play people something meaningful they will
> shop longer.

        Yeah, but they'll stay longer yet if what's on is familiar and
unchallenging, sadly. And since most people aren't into Tim Blake, but
chart pap, that's what'll make the muzak. It's the mass demographic end of
the law that says the best way to get a crowd of goths dancing is to play
`Temple of Love' by the Sisters of Mercy - because they'll all know
it. For metallers it'll be `Ace of Spades', and for mall shoppers,
apparently, it's Robbie Williams's `Rock DJ'. Ugh.

        Once had to try and explain to someone what the difference between
lift muzak and `Warmth Within' by the Dead Flowers was, and
couldn't. Still regard that as a failure on my part. Yours,
                                                            Jon

n/p Disarray - `Possession (9/10ths of the law)'

     Jon Jarrett (01223 514989)       jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk