HW: Spirit/Damnation?

J D Jeremy at DACOMBE.FSNET.CO.UK
Sat Dec 16 18:02:04 EST 2000

Hi,
This is going to be a really pointless question, which I don't envisage anyone having the definitive answer to, but ......

You know the sirens and explosions "between" Spirit and Damnation on Quark?
Well, from the very first time I heard it over 20 years ago, I've always assumed that it is actually the start of Damnation as opposed to the end of Spirit.
Numerous compilations have tagged it onto the end of Spirit, which I've always assumed is a fair mistake.
However, for some reason I dug out Repeat Performance vinyl yesterday (the Charisma compilation from about 1980), and was surprised that they had done the same.
Now I'm starting to think that if the original label has it as being the end of Spirit just 3 years after its original release, then maybe I've been the one getting it wrong all along.
The sirens seem more in keeping with Damnation, but I think there is also Morse code included which kinda swings it for Spirit.
Maybe it was purposely done to link the two songs with a bit from each, but I just find it curious that more often than not it is tagged onto Spirit than Damnation.
Just out of curiousity really (as I say, totally pointless), but, which song do folks think it is part of, and why?
Jez