OFF: Crohinga Well

Nick Medford nick at HERMIT0.DEMON.CO.UK
Sun Dec 17 17:07:43 EST 2000

In message <a05010401b662701aaf88@[10.0.0.5]>, Carl Edlund Anderson
<carlaz at NTLWORLD.COM> writes

>How about a collective of musicians doing an album of _new_ material.

Agree 100%. In fact I'd be horrified if they did an album of remakes, unless
it was so gobsmackingly brilliant that one just couldn't argue. Which is
unlikely when the original material is so strong.

I think one of the worst things they've ever done was the 1982 remake of
Silver Machine. I agree that some of the more recent revamps have been
worthwhile- Mask Of The Morning for example- but what we want is strong
NEW material. This is certainly not beyond the band-  I think their best
90s output transcends most of their 80s work- and they have the knack of
pulling great albums out of the bag just when you think they might be
drying up. The fact that they are apparently on better terms with some ex-
members should be used (if at all) to help create new work, not trade on
past glories. There are any number of bands who flog their old classics to
death while failing to produce any worthwhile new material: Hawkwind
have never allowed this to happen, there've been times when it's looked
imminent, but they've always come up with something fresh, and long may
that continue.

In any event, if you want to hear reworkings of old material, there are any
number of live albums full of that kind of thing.  A studio album of this
kind would be superfluous, no?
--
Nick Medford