HW: rooms and stuff

Eric Siegerman erics at TELEPRES.COM
Mon Dec 18 17:19:39 EST 2000

Provisionally, 7 nights: Dec.27/28 thru Jan.2/3 inclusive.  Those
are the nights I'll be in England.  But if they're going to
charge me £85 for some of the time, I'll stay elsewhere those
nights (except the 29th of course!)

I just phoned to ask them, but the evening-shift guy at the front
desk can't help me.  Unless someone else happens to know the
details, I'll call in the morning to talk to the Reservations
Manager.

The reservations guy wrote:
> [...] I can offer a rate per room per night including VAT of
> £35.00, all meals being charged for as taken.

Hmmm.  Could someone who speaks British English please parse that
last bit for me?  To this Canadian, it could be interpreted as,
"you have to pay for meals when you eat them; we won't add them
to your room's bill".  But it could also mean, "we'll charge you
for all meals, whether you eat here or not".  (£35 seems too good
to be true, so of course I'm looking for reasons why it is...)
Or it could simply mean "breakfasts not included".

"Two [well, many, really] nations divided by a common language"
indeed!

On Sun, Dec 17, 2000 at 05:54:08PM -0000, Jill Strobridge wrote:
> I've just called up the web page which was UNBELIEVABLY SLOW.

You must have just been unlucky; it's fine now.

> I've just
> phoned to enquire about prices and can confirm that there is a
> special promotional deal in the period including 29th including
> continental breakfast for a double room.     This is an excellent
> price!!

You didn't mention what the promotional deal is.  Is that the £35
group rate he offered Arin?

> However on balance the Quality Hotel that Arin found sounds the best
> suggestion and I think we should all go for it!     Opinions?
> Votes?   Simples?    Contact Arin?

Sounds good to me (especially if my doubts prove to be
unfounded).

|-_|/  >   Eric Siegerman, Toronto, Ont.        erics at telepres.com
|  |  /
Nobody ever got fired for buying Microsoft -- but they could get
fired for relying on Microsoft.
        - Chris Garrigues