HW: finest moments

Doug Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Mon Dec 18 20:19:42 EST 2000

On Tue, 19 Dec 2000 00:51:34 +0000, Nick Medford <nick at HERMIT0.DEMON.CO.UK>
wrote:
>>In article <000b01c06702$6509a3e0$0c1028d5 at starfield>, starfield
>><starfield at SUPANET.COM> writes
>
>So is this machine responsible for the brain-frying high-pitched noises on
>Robot as well? Or is that the sound of electric violin maltreatment?

The mid-section of "Robot" is definitely processed electric violin (listen
to the runs down the fingerboard - you won't get THAT sound with even the
best synth portamento).  Probably through (at least) a wah pedal.  One of
the fun things about listening to the different live versions (since
there's no studio version) of the song is to see how quickly Simon switches
from keyboards (verses/choruses) to violin (mid-section solo) and back to
keyboards ... he doesn't leave very much "dead air" in ANY version!

>One of my Finest Moments, either way.

Unquestionably!  Mine too!  (And one that will be explained by the man
himself, if he answers all the questions I posted in the upcoming
Cyberspace Interview.)

        -Doug
         ceres at sirius.com