Getting better organised

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Wed Dec 27 11:50:22 EST 2000

On Tue, 26 Dec 2000, BL Young wrote:

=> I think the best way to avoid seeing bootlegs on ebay is for all Hawkwind
=> fans to network in a much better way, and form a group that freely
=> distributes all bootlegged material.  It's not a good idea to pirate

=> Other bands (such as Zeppelin & Deep Purple) have really well organized
=> bootleg trees with very high quality standards and very stringent trading
=> rules.  I think it's time Hawkwind fans created their own, as well.  There's
=> a number of people with whom I've traded that will probably agree, and at
=> least one I know has tried to set up trees and chains in the past, with
=> limited success.
=>
=> I think with our connections we should be able to "one-up" these other
=> bands, and set up a great structure whereby if a diehard fan really wants
=> some bootleg recording, then they can get it.  I'm willing to put all of my
=> Hawkwind bootlegs (I've got a few available, but not as many as I'd like) up
=> for free dispersal.  If you want a non-legitimate release that I've got,
=> then it's yours for the asking.  Just send me a blank, and I'll even cover
=> return postage myself.  (Or if you've got a boot to trade, that's great,
=> too.)

The Zeppelin Digital tree has the concept of a "downloading" leaf and
branch, in addition to the regular snail mail leaves and branches.  The
Hawkwind fans on this list are spread across the globe, and so
downloading branches would save a lot of time and postage for
distributing seeds between countries.

The old timers probably know I have had up a couple of bootleg BOC and
Hawkwind albums for FTP in MPEG format at one time or another.  I am
willing to act as a FTP seed point for BOC or Hawkwind bootlegs in
high-quality SHN format.  We all heard folks bragging about their fast
cable connections on here just recently, :-) so I know there are
high-speed download points that can act as snail mail top-level
branches, assuming those folks show willing.  That may be a big
assumption.  The spirit of giving back does not seem so strong on this
list as on others to which I am subscribed (where B&P/trade offers flow
freely).

Like Bryan says, its a matter of getting organised and being willing
not to hoard material.  I have offered up the few bootlegs I have as
seeds for trees in the past, but I don't have much material.

Sorry for the rant.  I guess it's the egg nog talking... ;-)

Cheers,

Paul.

e-mail: paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu

        --- Frank Vincent Zappa