HW Xmas Party @ The Astoria - *FIRST REPORT*

Melvyn Vincent mel at MVA.U-NET.COM
Fri Dec 29 19:16:34 EST 2000

Well it's not often I get a first at something,but here goes.......

I've just arrived back at my studio after witnessing one of the best gigs
HW have done over recent years. In fact...this was the fully polished
version of what the Hawkestra  @ Brixton probably should have been
(although Lemmy,Nik Turner,Dikmik etc were not present at the Astoria).
Don't get me wrong........Brixton was a night I'll never forget, but I
think Dave Brock took on board some of his own misgivings & fans criticisms
of some elements of Brixton,......and assembled a show that was well
organised allowing ample contributions by special guests....BUT.....BEST OF
ALL........THE SOUND!!!!!
The sound was great...clear and well balanced. I could actually clearly
hear everone that was playing on stage at any given time. Full marks to the
engineers whoever they were!
The whole show was obviously being recorded and I can't wait to get the album!

The surprise of the night for me was hearing what Hawkwind sounds like with
a saxophonist/flute player who can REALLY PLAY.........(sorry nik).
Didn't catch the guys name though.

DOWNERS?
The support acts..............Spacehead (pretty dire)
                          Spiral Realms(Simon House 2 piece).......absolute
shite (sorry simon)
                          Tim Blake.......50/50

This is a very short & sharp review, but I look forward to the more
detailed assessments from those on this list who are better at it than me.

Thanks to Dave,Kris and the crew once again!

melvyn.