OFF: Unlimbo review

DIGEST Stuart A Hamilton stuarthamilton at CONNECTFREE.CO.UK
Tue Feb 1 13:31:10 EST 2000

Another tape release was reviewd several Zeitgeists ago (use the
search engine) and can be bought through Mick Magics Music &
Elsewhere / United World Underpants thing.

http://www.zeitgeist-scot.com

On 31 Jan 00, at 21:49, K Henderson wrote:

> Somebody here was interested in my thoughts on this...went ahead and
> conjured up this tentative review FWIW...Keith H. (FAA)
>
> Unlimbo - Prahna Fish (1998) Polygraph (UK) Poly #03
>
> Unlike the Delerium lot, Unlimbo is a 'free-festy' style psychedelic band
> that stayed the course and have not dived full-bore into electronica mode.
> I guess that's why they haven't been signed on to Delerium, instead
> releasing this third effort (following a 3-track EP and a 9-track live
> CD...could they be Poly #01 and #02?) on (I'm guessing) their own
> independent label.  That said, the seven-member unit does claim multiple
> hands on synths, samples, decks, and various forms of percussion.  But
> "Drum & Bass" doesn't come to mind.  Rather, from the very opening of
> "Nahton," the words "Ozric" & "Tentacle" are conjured up instead.  Circa
> 1990 Ozrics, that is.
>
> Prahna Fish's seven tracks add up to almost 50 minutes, and so Unlimbo
> likes to play around with each idea for about 6-8 minutes or so, relying
> on the usual smattering of reggae/dub rhythms and eastern flavors.  In
> lieu of any 'lyrical' vocals, the band employ lots of spoken-word voice
> samples from numerous sources (Captain Kirk and Bones make an appearance),
> including more than a few drug-related passages.  For example, in the
> midst of the wonderfully dreamy title track, we hear "You don't have to do
> anything now but hallucinate...I'll come back for you later."  Shortly
> thereafter, Gundula Grun's violin and Chris Muggeridge's synths dance
> amongst themselves over an active bassline and punctuated beat, the
> resemblance to Hawkwind's Palace Springs almost too uncanny.  "Spellbound"
> is one of the more evolved tracks, practically a medley of many different
> themes with shifting focus (guitar to bass to synth) presented at
> intervals of thirty seconds or so. Very nice.  The album finishes off with
> "Inertia," yet another eight-minute space-reggae tune that recalls any
> Ozrics or Dead Flowers tune you care to mention...but at least it's a good
> one.  Unlimbo does have a few of their own tricks up their collective
> sleeves.  Early in the album, "Flinch" is only classifiable as a 'hoedown
> dub,' Grun's violin more aptly termed 'fiddle.'  And then the reggae
> stylings of "Bagdub" are less like the Ozrics' version than the Police's
> take on things.  A much freakier version of the Police, no doubt, and a
> nice guitar solo to boot.
>
> 'Prahna Fish' hardly treads upon virgin ground, but yet I still feel it
> deserves high praise.  The Ozrics spawned a whole slew of copy-cats, some
> of which turned out to be superior to this listener's ears (the
> aforementioned Dead Flowers and Ship of Fools, for example).  David Hands'
> guitar work is notably less prevalent than Ed Wynne's contribution to any
> given OT disc, but the clever use of sampled voices, lots of extra-spacey
> synths, and violin and didgeridoo fill any suspected void quite
> [...]

Blessings and peace from Zeitgeist - Reflections Of The Underground
E-zine, freezine and online Record Store http://www.zeitgeist-scot.com
PO Box 13499, Edinburgh EH6 8YL, UK
"The way I keep in touch with the world is very gingerly, because the world touches too hard"  Don Van Vliet
alternate url: http://members.tripod.com/~zeitgeist_scot