BOC: Compilation Madness

Ted Jackson jr. tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Wed Feb 2 14:26:57 EST 2000

On 2 Feb 00, at 15:48, Bolts of Ungodly Vision wrote:

> For me, the proliferation of best of CDs makes me wonder how much
> control BOC actually has over the publishing of its back catalog.

Virtually none, I'm afraid.  Sony can pretty much do what they want.
The only songs BOC have any rights to, I think, are the ones that
appeared on Cult Classic.  I thinkk that Albert was paid a lump sum
by Sony, and may even get some residuals for songs that he wrote.
Don't take this as gospel, I'm just going on a faded memory here.  I'm
sure someone will correct me...

 the
> Oyster boys (hopefully) are aware of how many compilations are
> floating in the dreck of the CD seas and I'd hope they'd have more
> common sense than rehashing under numerous repackagings. It almost
> like Sony/Columbia is still aware of the money making potential of the
> group in regard to its classic rock radio stapes of (df)tr, bfy,
> godzilla and tries to cash in the continued radioplay they get.

Hey, it costs Sony almost nothing--remember they 'own' the songs,
and we all know how cheap it is to press CDs...Can't miss situation
for Sony...

 If
> Elektra was smart, it would release the stalkforrest sessions in NICE
> pacakging and poop like  that to undermine their Sony competition or
> something like that.... of course you realize this assumes that the
> BOC fan market is highly sought after :)

Sought after by whom?  Obviously not record companies...I doubt
Elektra would make a nickel on such a project, and given the recent
shakeups in the music biz, it sure looks doubtful anyone would take a
gamble...

> Why?
>
> Blue Oyster Cult albums were, from my vantage point, true concept
> albums. The songs were arranged so that one led into another, vicious
> rockers gave way to ethereal ballads. The first three albums were,
> quite simply, perfect. No wasted tracks.

Right you are, oh wise visitor from the east...

> As to the Imaginos stuff not being on the recent comp., I wonder if
> it's because of the legal tomfoorely which ate up the 80's over its
> ownership. In which case, the question is: Who has publishing control
> over "Imaginos" the album?

That's a good question.  Only Al probably knows for sure...

theo