HW: Griffin *IS* alive

K Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Thu Feb 3 20:58:19 EST 2000

Stephan said...

>Well, I got something a little different from Susan the other day...
>She said it was called "Thrilling Stories" a studio version of Live `79
>and will be out in Mid-Feb - - - See the "What's New(s)" page at
>Hawkman Music.

Huh?  What the hell is that supposed to mean...studio Live '79?  Like aren't
there already studio recordings of all those songs?  You don't mean to
suggest Hawkwind recorded things like Lighthouse, Shot Down in the Night,
New Jerusalem in the studio as a band, do you?  I would've thought that
would have been well-known.  Or are you suggesting that the CD is just a
compilation of all the studio versions of the songs that were performed on
that tour?  And what the hell would be the point of that?  Anyway, I like
the idea I was told...and they sent me the flyer to go with it!  I just
wonder whether Griffin and Voiceprint are linking up to do simultaneous
releases now.  Esp. since EBS seems to be so quiet.

>>Oh, well, good to see Griffin's still in the game
>
>Well, not really....I asked if there are any planned RE-stocking of the
>titles already out of print, and she said NO.  So the Griffin Catalog of
>Hawkwind CD's are slowly shrinking and going the way of one way :)

Well, I imagine that the HW back-catalogue will continually go oop and be
re-re-re-released over and over again.  With different cover art, different
writing credits/pseudonyms, bizarre misspellings, mislabeled tracks, you
name it. All versions will eventually become rare kollectors' items, etc. etc.

Like I traded my 25 Years On CD away to someone here about three years ago,
not realizing it was far oop.  Doh!  But I'm patient...it'll be reissued in
the not-too-distant future I imagine and I'll just get one of those.  I
ain't paying $100 on Ebay, that's fer sure!  I've still got the LP anyway,
and many of the tracks on other compilations (Tales from Atomhenge, etc.).

So, who was the guy on the cover?  Somebody's uncle?  Bob's uncle?  Bob's
your uncle?

Keith H. (FAA)