OFF: DarXtar, Bedouin and record labels; + PT news

Fri Feb 11 08:02:57 EST 2000

At 16.58 +0000 00-02-08, Jon Jarrett wrote:
>         Dear All,
>                   recently acquired _DarXtar_ at long last, which brings
>me within one track of as-close-to-DarXtar-Kompleteness-as-I-can-be-till-
>someone-reprints-_Darker_,

Really? What's the missing track? (assuming I've read this aright)

>and it has set me wondering. I take it there is
>still no news on a release of _Tombola_? Still no label that meets the
>Commander's wants? What is he after that is so hard to find in the
>industry?

A label that will release the album? Seriously, those are hard to
come by. Look at the trouble Dark Sun are having getting their second
album (the studio one, not the live one with Nik) released. And that
the follow up to _Feed Your Mind_, a fantastic debut album.

>         And the same goes for Bedouin. The material is there, it's just
>failure to close a deal (as I understand it) that's stopping it being
>released. Again, what is the problem? I remember a while back we had a
>little discussion about how Man's Ruin would probably snap up the chance
>to release such a thing, and they seem to be a reputable company, and
>furthermore have the distribution (although I reckon if it's in my local
>HMV the distribution's adequate - not that I'll buy it there of course but
>as a measure of the album's footprint... ).

Part of this could be a continuing failure to market the band to the
Kyuss/FuManchu/OrangeGoblin crowd. Part of this could be a failure to
market the band at all! Part of it could be that things seem a little
shaky inside Bedouin -- what, for example, is the lineup these days?
Is the band actually a going concern? Hell, I've no idea! Where's the
band website that was promised a year ago? Does it exist?

Mind you musicians are a notoriously slack lot. You have to about
bang them over the head to get them to do anything ;)

>Man's Ruin would probably do a lovely
>job by Bedouin, and Delerium could handle DarXtar judging by how they've
>done with The Spacious Mind and On Trial.

Well, this would mean Bedouin and Man's Ruin would actually have to
enter into negotiations. Who even knows whether approaches have been
made from either side? Has Alan _heard_ of Man's Ruin? Has Man's Ruin
_heard_ of Bedouin?

Have Delerium actually released Spacious Mind albums? Which ones? I
seriously need to get some Spacious Mind stuff. I can't find anything
in the US, and the last time I tried to order anything from Delerium
they complained that the band hadn't sent them anything (those slack
musicians ...).

Cheers,
Carl

--