OFF: Blue Floyd remaining tour dates

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Mon Feb 14 13:08:58 EST 2000

I'm posting this because I thought there may be some tangential
interest in the current Blue Floyd tour underway.  Blue Floyd are
"Pink Floyd in a blues style," or at least ostensibly so.  (Think
along the lines of "Jazz is Dead," and how much "jazz" that actually
turned out to be.)  All reports, however, indicate Blue Floyd deliver
good old fashioned long psychedelic jams on Pink Floyd tunes.  In the
band are Allen Woody [guitar---yes, you read right!] and Matt Abts
[drums] (Gov't Mule), Marc Ford [guitar] (ex-Black Crowes), Berry
Oakley, Jr. [bass] (OKB Band), and Johnny Neel [keyboards, harmonica]
(ex-Allman Brothers Band).

Here is a setlist from their recent Atlanta show, to give an idea of
what they're playing.  It's pretty representative, apart from "Dark
Star" in the second set, which I guess was prompted by the guest
appearance of Jimmy Herring (from Jazz is Dead).  I've also heard
they've done jams on Dark Side of the Moon to a backdrop of The Wizard
of Oz film at the Wetlands, NYC.  BTW: Little Pink Anderson (North
Carolina Piedmont-style bluesman Pink Anderson's son) is opening shows
for Blue Floyd:

Blue Floyd setlist-Variety Playhouse 2/12/00(SOLD-OUT)
1st set-
Echoes(19 minutes with Jimmy Herring)>
Sheep
Sheamus
Money
Us & Them>
Breathe jam
Interstellar Overdrive
Wish You Were Here
Hey You

2nd set-
One of These Days
Shine on Your Crazy Diamond>
Have a Cigar
Cymbaline>
Drums>
Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun>
Dark Star(24 minutes with Jimmy Herring)
Fearless
Young Lust
Encore:
Blues in C(with Little Pink Anderson)
In the Flesh
Another Brick in the Wall Part 2
show was over 3 hours

Here are the remaining tour dates.  I heard a rumour recently that
because of the popularity of the shows, Blue Floyd might try and put
some more on during the Summer, but, of course, that is subject to the
touring schedules of the band members' respective bands.

02/15/00 Detroit, MI,      Majestic Theatre
02/16/00 Columbus, OH      Newport Music Hall
02/17/00 Kalamazoo, MI     Kalamazoo State Theatre
02/18/00 Cleveland, OH     Odeon Concert Club
02/19/00 Des Moines, IA,   The Grand Ballroom, Hotel Fort Des Moines
02/20/00 Minneapolis, MN   The Cabooze
02/21/00 Chicago, IL       House Of Blues

See http://www.bluefloyd.com for more information.

Cheers,

Paul.

PS: Blue Floyd allow taping (both audio and video).

e-mail: paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu

        --- Frank Vincent Zappa