HW: Hawkwind in New Zealand

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Tue Feb 15 20:35:50 EST 2000

On Tue, 15 Feb 2000, Stephan Spiegel wrote:

=> I'm particularly saddened by poor attendance at what appears to
=> > have been a top gig (when is HW ever not)
=>
=> Well, there is always a reason for failure and success.
=> [...]  And the last is distance.
=> Driving more than an hour to see a show sucks, since most
=> are blitzed when they leave, and driving drunk is hard enough
=> even when you live a few miles away.

I have pretty much resigned myself to the reality that, where I live,
I have to drive at least about 2 hours both ways to see just about
anyone these days.  But, I figure if the band is worth it, it's no
hassle.  I wouldn't give another thought to driving a couple of hours
to see Hawkwind.  Now the REAL test of whether you think a band is
worth it comes when you're looking at driving 5+ hours both way... ;-)

The thing that peeves me, though, is why bands often will not hit the
stage until it is ~10--11pm or so.  I'm sure there is some rationale
for this, but, whatever, it is bloody inconvenient to be setting out
on a 2+ hour drive home again at 1--2am or so. :-(

(Luckily, I am not one of those who feels the need to dull ones senses
with alcohol to be able to enjoy a gig, so I don't have to worry about
driving long hours whilst drunk.)

Cheers,

Paul.

NP: Motorhead, _No Sleep 'Til Hammersmith_

e-mail: paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu

"I don't live today; maybe tomorrow..."
        --- James Marshall Hendrix