HW: Hawkwind in New Zealand

Ted Jackson jr. tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Wed Feb 16 06:42:02 EST 2000

On 15 Feb 00, at 20:35, Paul Mather wrote:

> I have pretty much resigned myself to the reality that, where I live,
> I have to drive at least about 2 hours both ways to see just about
> anyone these days.  But, I figure if the band is worth it, it's no
> hassle.  I wouldn't give another thought to driving a couple of hours
> to see Hawkwind.  Now the REAL test of whether you think a band is
> worth it comes when you're looking at driving 5+ hours both way... ;-)
>
> The thing that peeves me, though, is why bands often will not hit the
> stage until it is ~10--11pm or so.  I'm sure there is some rationale
> for this, but, whatever, it is bloody inconvenient to be setting out
> on a 2+ hour drive home again at 1--2am or so. :-(

I wholeheartedly agree.  I've seen tBS a few times when the band
didn't get onstage til almost midnight [or later!] And these were gigs
over an hour away from here, so yeah, you don't get home til like
3AM--too late for this old wheezer, esp. for a during-the-week gig
when one has to work the next day...

theo