HW: Hawkwind in New Zealand

K Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Wed Feb 16 23:19:01 EST 2000

Carl said...

>At 20.35 -0500 00-02-15, Paul Mather wrote:
>>Now the REAL test of whether you think a band is
>>worth it comes when you're looking at driving 5+ hours both way... ;-)
>
>Tania Ruiz, Scott Heller, and myself once drove about 4 or 5 hours
>each way from Boston, MA to Burlington, VT to see the Brain Surgeons
>opening for Gov't Mule :)

Well, let's see.  My driving radius from Ohio encompasses Minneapolis to the
West, Toronto to the North, Raleigh NC to the South, and Boston/Providence
(Great Woods) to the East.  And I do it all alone (how sad!), except for
shows in Cleveland when I can find others to make that short of a trip.

The 'worst' one was that Sunday night in 1989 (?), when I drove from
Cleveland to Toronto (about 5 hours each way) for the first HW gig on North
American soil in over a decade and then back again that night.  Slept about
90 minutes and then showered and went to work (I didn't have any vacation
days).  It was worth it though!

I've also flown to shows (well, festivals) in Seattle and San Francisco, so
those are the longest distance I've gone.  Of course, we've had a number of
folks here who have flown to the UK for tours, eh?  So has anybody flown
down under for these NZ/AU shows?  Other than the Solar Fire lot.

Keith H. (FAA)

P.S.  I just 'committed' to going to see Happy the Man in Bethlehem, PA on
June 17th (the NEARfest thingy).  I think that's 8 1/2 hours or so each way,
but I'll stay with my folks in State College so I won't even have to get a
hotel room.  Anybody else going?  Anybody need my Sunday half of the ticket
(that I won't use)? (www.nearfest.com for lineup)  $20 is all (balcony seat).