OFF: Ash ra Tempel etc.

K Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Thu Feb 17 11:47:22 EST 2000

Scott said...

>Anyone else hear about this reunion!

Not until now...

>Ash Ra Tempel - reunion exclusive (featuring Klaus Schulze!!!) -
>Royal Festival Hall - London April 2nd 2000
>as part of Julian Cope's Cornucopea 2 day Festival
>Tickets £17.50 and £20.

Here's more...from www.ashra.com...

One-Time Reunion of Ash Ra Tempel
We have the pleasure to inform you that in a one-time only
reunion, ASH RA TEMPEL will be headlining Julian
Cope's Cornucopea Festival in London's South Bank,
April 1-2, 2000 with its original lineup of Manuel
Göttsching and the band's other founding member Klaus
Schulze.

The two rock legends will be performing on Sunday, April
2, in the Royal Festival Hall. On Saturday, April 1, English
cult band COIL and the legendary JULIAN COPE and his
new group will be on stage in the Queen Elizabeth Hall.
Cope is also hosting and curating the event.

Ashra concert in Berlin
In its ASHRA lineup, i.e. Manuel Göttsching, Harald
Grosskopf, Lutz (Lüül) Ulbrich and Steve Baltes the band
is going to perform an July 21, 2000 in Berlin as one of the
highlights of the German Academy's of Arts event "Z 2000
- Positon of young Art and Culture".

And now here's a letter from Mr. Cope...

Have I got news for you! On April 1st and 2nd of this year
2000CE, there's gonna be a fabulous weekend festival
at London's South Bank Centre, entitled Julian Cope's
Cornucopea. A 'cornucopiae' is a mythological 'horn of
plenty', which is precisely what we've put together. Some
people have got wind of the fact and have complained
that there's been no information about it. Ha! That's
because it's taken so long to confirm the bill, and what a
bill! Here goes...

Day 1 is Saturday April 1st. It will feature performances
at the Purcell Room by the Universal Panzies and Tony
McPhee's legendary Groundhogs, alongside shows in
the Queen Elizabeth Hall featuring Liverpool's Skyray,
heavy glambient performances by Queen Elizabeth
(featuring three Thighpaulsandras!) and my new
bubblegum-metal trio Braindonor. In the huge triangular
Foyer, which leads to both of these halls, there will be
performances by Anal and the former leader of the
Doctors of Madness, Kid Strange, along with a short
solo set from myself. Extra-foyer activity includes the
world's smallest disco and a special one-off Krautrock
Colouring Competition. Markers will be provided, but
bring your own if you really want to win the first prize,
which is my copy of the double-LP Disaster by Amon
Duul (shown in my book Krautrocksampler).

Day 2 is Sunday April 2nd, and will take place at the
Royal Festival Hall. Here, we have a performance of
mythological proportions when Ash Ra Tempel re-form
for their first ever British show. Featuring Klaus Schultze
and Manuel Gottsching together for the first time in 25
years (*), this is a stellar rock'n'roll event. Also on the same
stage, Coil are finally presented at the South Bank in a
performance of their marvellous Time Machines - and
rumour has it that they'll all be wearing one gigantic
outfit! I'll introduce the evening and play a series of new
and ancient electro-acoustic songs on doubleneck
guitar, Mellotron 400 and the enormous Festival Hall
organ.

I do hope you can make it. And if so please dress for the
occasion and treat these evenings as a simultaneous
celebration of our past combined with the Great Leap
Forward which the twenty hundreds MUST be!

Love on Y'All,

JULIAN COPE
(*) Not true...Manuel made a surprise guest appearance at a Schulze show in
1997, according to the ashra webpage.

More krautrock news...from Think Progressive:

Best of Burg Herzburg, Vol. II
Wir sind die Kinder der Revolte (feat. AshRa, Sunya Beat, Dissidenten,
Caravan u.a.) New Release!!!

[However!  The folks at www.ashra.com claim that the Ashra track "12
samples" on this compilation is *NOT* from Burg Herzburg, but is merely the
recording on the ThinkProgressive Live in Japan recording.  And it wasn't
authorized by the band apparently.  C'mon Kalle, get with it!]

Anyway, Kalle's got a good early lineup for Berg Herzburg 2000....

Hypnotix, Mitch Ryder; Kraan (Reunion-Konzert), Them, Ole Lukkoje, Rufus
Zuphall und Birth Control.
Big Brother and the Holding Co., Walter Trout Band, Porcupine Tree,
Steppenwolf und und und.

Keith H. (FAA)

On-Topic Note:  Of course, Kid (Richard) Strange has a Hawkwind connection
by playing with Martin Griffin, and thereby appearing on the F&R II album,
doing "Work," a retitled version of an earlier song (w/ diff. lyrics), the
name of which escapes me now.  And the most direct link from HW to LZ and
DP/Whitesnake (for those into such playful linkages) via Paul Martinez.